Monday, July 7, 2008

Lets get God back in the USA.

I was listening to sermon by Newt Gingrich yesterday and I wanted to comment on it.

He was in Atlanta delivering a speech about American values and the lack of education around them.

He stated that when we removed "prayer" from our schools, our way was lost. I know it's debate-able, but I feel he is correct.

I remember in elementary school when my teachers would lead us in quick prayer. It was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance and then a patriotic song chosen by one of the students.
I have fond memories of that.

I remember quite clearly when it stopped. I asked my teacher why we didn't say a prayer and she said, " The Supreme Court says we can't make you do it".

Well, as a young boy- that didn't make much sense to me. I just thought we were doing the right thing. We were only saying a nice prayer that asked God to help us do well in our lives. What could be bad about that?

I started to ask questions to my parents, whom by the way are not religious by any means, what was happening. It was then that my dad explained the way the Supreme Court rules. Back then there were 12 judges not 9. I still thought that it was weird that only a handful of people could make the rules for the entire USA. How powerful those people must be, I thought to myself. Indeed they are.

Here are some facts - Since prayer was removed .....
Petty and violent crimes have increased by 120% according to the FBI statistics gathered in 2005.
Abortions have risen to 2 million annually. - US Dept of health and human services.
Education scores has sunk to an all time low in the past 30 years. - Dept. of Education 2003

Now, to say that " not saying a prayer" caused this all to happen might seem a bit alarmist. I can understand that logic. However, I believe that God gave us this nation to serve as a beacon of hope for all of the world. When the SCotUS determined that we didn't need God in our public schools, we slapped him in the proverbial face.

I often hear the phrase " Seperation of Church and State ", as being an essential part of the US Constitution. Problem with that is.........

There is no amendment that says that. Anywhere. I will give anyone who can find the phrase "seperation of church and state" in that document a hundred dollars. It doesn't exist. Seriously. I have read the Constitution numerous times and I even corrected my college professor on this topic.

We do have a duty to preserve the ideals and values that the forefathers set forth. The Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights and the remainder of the Constitution are all based on Judeo-Christian values. More importantly the 10 commandments. Why????

Because the extremely intelligent men who wrote these documents were all very, very, very, active in their churches. Their is a carving and statue above the Supreme Court that states " IN GOD WE TRUST". It is accompanied by a marble version of the 10 commandments.

IN GOD WE TRUST has to mean something. If it doesn't mean anything here in the USA, believe me it will be utterly meaningless elsewhere on the globe.

Americans are defenders of truth, justice, faith, freedom, and liberty. We take these things very seriously. We have seen the true faces of evil in Stalin, Hitler, Mao, BinLaden, etc,etc.

Our task in the future is to fight for prayer to be in school. Our children must know that they are to be accountable to someone, to something, - that life cannot be lived without consequences.

Life is a series of choices, humans tend to be like snowflakes - we are all different. Yet, in America, despite who you are, or where you are from, you have a duty to believe in the ideals and principles that we hold dear. In the past, you had to agree to this before you could become a citizen. I know, my parents are immigrants.

No comments: